Joints and their Types
1.Ball and socket joint:
The point at which two separate bones meet is called a joint.
There are four types of joints in the human body.They are:
- One end of a bone is rounded and ball-like, and fits into a cup-like depression of the other bone.
- This joint provides movement in any direction.
- Shoulder joints and hip joints are examples.
- In the shoulder joint, the head of the humerus fits into a socket of the shoulder girdle.
- In the hip joint, the large ball-like head of the femur fits into the deep socket of the hip girdle.
- This joint moves like a hinge in one plane only, just like the hinge of a door.
- The elbow joint between the humerus and the ulna.
- The joints between the bones of the fingers and toes, and less perfectly, the knee joint.
- Hinge joints usually give sufficient power, because there is less danger of twisting at the joint.
- One bone rotates over a pivot-like end of the other bone.
- The skull rotates on the upper end of the back bone.
- In this joint, no movement is possible between the two bones.
- The sutures between the bones of the cranium are an example.
Bones and Skeleton
- The skeleton is a framework of all the bones in the human body.
- The skeleton consists of the skull, hand bone, shoulder bone, rib cage, pelvic bone, backbone, leg bone and cartilage.
- The skull protects the brain.
- The shoulder has the ball and socket joint that helps the arm swing.
- The rib cage protects the lungs, heart, stomach, abdomen and liver.
- The backbone runs from the top of the skeleton to the bottom of the skeleton. It is connected to all the bones.
- The pelvic bone protects the lower abdominal organs such as the urinary bladder, rectum and uterus.
- Cartilage is a soft bone tissue that connects joints. It is present in external parts like the ear and nose.
With our free PDF notes you can get success in any competitive or entrance exams like CTET, KVS, NET, CAT, MAT, CMAT, SSC, B.ED, IBPS Recruitment, IAS, CSAT, State Civil Services Exams, UPTET, PSTET, HTET & many more. It also provides NCERT solutions, CBSE, NTSE, Olympiad study material, Indian General Knowledge, English, Hindi, Mathematics, Current affairs, Science, S.ST, model test papers, important Questions and Answers asked in CBSE examinations.