Enjoy our fun water facts for your exam preparation. Learn how important water is to life on Earth as well its many amazing uses and properties.
Read about ice, steam, snow, drinking water, oceans, water pollution, seawater, rivers the water cycle and much more with our huge range of interesting facts about water.
- Water is made up of two elements, hydrogen and oxygen. Its chemical formula is H2O.
- Each molecule of water is made up of two hydrogen atoms bonded to a single oxygen atom.
- The existence of water is essential for life on Earth.
- Water has three different states, liquid, solid and gas.
- The word water usually refers to water in its liquid state. The solid state of water is known as ice while the gas state of water is known as steam or water vapor.
- Water covers around 70% of the Earth‟s surface.
- The three largest oceans on Earth are the Pacific Ocean (largest), the Atlantic Ocean (second largest) and the Indian Ocean (third largest).
- Found in the Pacific Ocean, the Mariana Trench is the deepest known point in the world‟s oceans.
- Ocean tides are caused by the rotation of the Earth and the gravitational pull of the Moon and Sun acting on ocean water.
- Water from a sea or ocean is known as seawater. On average, every kilogram (2.2lb) of seawater contains around 35 grams (1.2 oz) of dissolved salt.
- The freezing point of water lowers as the amount of salt dissolved in at increases. With average levels of salt, seawater freezes at -2 °C (28.4 °F).
- The longest river in the world is the Nile River, it reaches 6650 kilometers in length (4132 miles).
- The second longest river in the world is the Amazon River, it reaches 6400 kilometres (4000 miles) in length.
- The longest river in the USA is the Mississippi River, it reaches 6275 kilometers in length (3902 miles).
- Water makes a good solvent with many sugar, salts and acids easily dissolving in it. On the other hand oils and fats don‟t mix well with water.
With our free PDF notes you can get success in any competitive or entrance exams like CTET, KVS, NET, CAT, MAT, CMAT, SSC, B.ED, IBPS Recruitment, IAS, CSAT, State Civil Services Exams, UPTET, PSTET, HTET & many more. It also provides NCERT solutions, CBSE, NTSE, Olympiad study material, Indian General Knowledge, English, Hindi, Mathematics, Current affairs, Science, S.ST, model test papers, important Questions and Answers asked in CBSE examinations.