An Acronym is a type of word formation process. It refers to a word formed from the initial letters of a name or by combining initial letters of a series of words.
In other words Acronyms are initial letter abbreviations that are pronounced as one word. To take the examples from above, the BBC is NOT an acronym because it is pronounced as it is spelled - the B - B - C. However, NATO is an acronym because it is pronounced as a word. ASAP is another acronym, but ATM is not.
- · NATO = North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- · radar = radio detection and ranging
- · AIDS = acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- · Scuba = self-contained underwater breathing apparatus
- · Laser = Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
With our free PDF notes you can get success in any competitive or entrance exams like CTET, KVS, NET, CAT, MAT, CMAT, SSC, B.ED, IBPS Recruitment, IAS, CSAT, State Civil Services Exams, UPTET, PSTET, HTET & many more. It also provides NCERT solutions, CBSE, NTSE, Olympiad study material, Indian General Knowledge, English, Hindi, Mathematics, Current affairs, Science, S.ST, model test papers, important Questions and Answers asked in CBSE examinations.