Increase your biology knowledge with this great collection of interesting biology facts and these facts will help in your exam preparation.
Learn about cells, DNA, ecology, natural selection, bacteria, viruses, yeast, evolution, cloning and much more.
1. People that study biology are known as biologists.
2. Australia‟s Great Barrier Reef is the largest living structure on Earth. Reaching over 2000 kilometres (1240 miles) in length.
3. The first person to see a live cell with a microscope was Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, in 1674.
4. Ecology is the study of ecosystems and how organisms interact with their environment.
5. While some bacteria can make you sick, others have positive benefits such as helping you digest food or even make yoghurt.
6. Moulds, yeasts and mushrooms are types of fungus.
7. The common cold is a type of virus.
8. Viruses can be treated with antiviral drugs.
9. Bacteria are extremely small and are made up of just one cell.
10. Bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics.
11. Animals that eat plants as their primary food source are known as herbivores.
12. Endangered species are those that are in danger of being completely wiped out, they include blue whales, tigers and pandas. Without protection these species may eventually become extinct.
13. Born on July 5th 1996, Dolly the sheep was the first mammal to be cloned from an adult cell.
14. When the DNA of an organism changes and results in a new trait (characteristic) it is known as mutation.
15. French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur was well known for inventing a process to stop various foods and liquids making people sick. Called Pasteurization, it reduces the amount of microorganisms that could lead to disease without having a noticeable effect on taste and quality in a way which methods such as sterilization might.
16. Charles Darwin developed the idea of natural selection, sometimes called survival of the fittest. It is a process that involves living things with favorable traits being more likely to reproduce, passing on their favorable traits to future generations.
With our free PDF notes you can get success in any competitive or entrance exams like CTET, KVS, NET, CAT, MAT, CMAT, SSC, B.ED, IBPS Recruitment, IAS, CSAT, State Civil Services Exams, UPTET, PSTET, HTET & many more. It also provides NCERT solutions, CBSE, NTSE, Olympiad study material, Indian General Knowledge, English, Hindi, Mathematics, Current affairs, Science, S.ST, model test papers, important Questions and Answers asked in CBSE examinations.