Enjoy these fascinating metal facts. Metals are chemical elements that are used in a number of different ways.
Read on and learn some interesting facts about metals and prepare your exam with these facts.
1. Metals are usually solid, good conductors of electricity and heat, shiny when clean, strong and malleable (meaning they can be bent and shaped).
3. The chemical symbol used for silver is Ag, this comes from the Latin word for silver, argentum.
4. While aluminum is the most common metal found in the Earth's crust, the most common metal found on Earth is iron, mostly because it makes up such a large part of the Earth's core.
5. Copper is a good conductor of electricity and is often used for making wires.
6. At room temperature, mercury is the only metal that is in liquid form.
7. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat and is often used to make cooking pots.
8. Alkali metals such as sodium, potassium, rubidium, caesium and francium are extremely reactive elements, just putting them in water can result in an explosion! They are carefully stored in oil to prevent this happening.
9. Tungsten has a very high melting point, after carbon it has the second highest melting point of all elements.
10. Metals are strong and are useful for making tools, buildings, bridges and other structures where strength is important.
11. Steel is an important alloy (combination of metals) that is created from a mixture of metals, mostly iron. There are many different types of steel including stainless steel, galvanized steel and carbon steel. Steel is commonly used to make a number of products including knives, machines, train rails, cars, motors and wires.
12. Bronze is a metal alloy made from copper and tin. Copper makes up the larger amount, usually between 80 to 95%.
With our free PDF notes you can get success in any competitive or entrance exams like CTET, KVS, NET, CAT, MAT, CMAT, SSC, B.ED, IBPS Recruitment, IAS, CSAT, State Civil Services Exams, UPTET, PSTET, HTET & many more. It also provides NCERT solutions, CBSE, NTSE, Olympiad study material, Indian General Knowledge, English, Hindi, Mathematics, Current affairs, Science, S.ST, model test papers, important Questions and Answers asked in CBSE examinations.