Changes During Puberty: CBSE / NCERT Revision Notes
Growth is a natural process which involves physical and mental development of an organism. There is certain stage in the life of every individual human being called as puberty.
It is the time during which there occur sexual and physical changes which allow the transition of a child to an adult. Puberty starts at the beginning of adolescence. The onset of puberty starts much earlier in girls, between 8 and 13 years of age, whereas it starts between 10 and 14 years of age in boys and lasts upto 2 to 4 years.
Must Read : Hormones and Reproductive Function
Changes during puberty
- The onset of puberty is marked by physical changes.
- Sweat glands become active and start producing more sweat.
- Pimples or acne appear due to increased action of sebaceous glands or oil glands.
- The sex organs grow and become functionally active. The testes start producing male gametes, called sperms. The ovaries grow and result in the maturation of the ovum.
- Puberty is marked with an increase in size of the penis with respect to different ages in males. The development of breasts is observed in females.
- Brain is very active and so will have a greater capacity to learn.
- Puberty also results in mental and intellectual maturity.
Secondary sexual characters are used to distinguish a male from a female. An increase in height is the most apparent physical change during puberty. Exercise and eating healthy food is advised to gain height faster.
During puberty, the larynx or voice box in boys grows and protrudes out, making it clearly visible. This is commonly called Adam’s apple.
It is the period of life between the onset of puberty and reaching adulthood, that is, the period that leads to reproductive maturity. Adolescent is a general term for teenagers of both sexes. Adolescence is the period of life that leads to reproductive maturity, making a person capable of reproduction.
Changes during adolescence
Almost all the changes which occur during puberty are included as the changes in adolescence. This is because puberty is a transition period which occurs at the beginning of adolescence stage.
After the age of ten years, an individual becomes an adolescent and experiences a lot of physical changes in the body.
During adolescence, a remarkable change in body shapes is observed both in boys and girls. Adolescents exhibit an increase in their heights. Adolescents may experience mood swings.
The growth of facial hair, that is, the beard and moustache is a secondary sexual characteristic observed in males. In females, enlargement of breasts and growth of pubic hair are remarkable changes.