CTET 2015 Exam Notes : TEACHING OF MATHEMATICS
PLACE OF MATHEMATICS IN SCHOOL CURRICULUM
Curriculum includes all those activities, experiences and environment which the child receives during his educational career under the guidance of educational authorities. Thus curriculum is the total education of the child.
Curriculum touches all the aspects of the life of the pupils- the need and interest of pupils environment which should be educationally congenial to them, ways and manners in which their interest can be kindled warmed up, the procedures and approaches which cause effective learning among them, the social efficiency of the individual and how they fit in with the community around.
In education, the importance and the place of a particular subject depends on the fact that “to what extent the subject is helpful in achieving the aims of the education”. If any subject is more useful for achieving educational objectives then its importance increases accordingly. Since ancient times mathematics has played a vital role in ‘achieving aims of education, as compared to others. Present age is the age of science and information. Whatever, technological and physical progress being made, shall be correspondent to the role of mathematics. Being so important “What place should be given to mathematics in the curriculum?”
In school Kothari Commission has explained about placing mathematics as a compulsory subject upto higher secondary or tenth standard and has said, “Mathematics should be made a compulsory subject for the students of 1st to Xth standard, as a part of general education.”
But some people lay more emphasis on making it an optional subject after eight-standard, therefore various reasons were framed against this proposal:
- It is very difficult subject and its learning requires a sharp brain and intelligence, as many children will face difficulties for gaining the knowledge.
- It is only an imagination the mental abilities, discipline, culture, social and moral developments can be done by mathematics.
- The numbers of failures in mathematics in high school examination are more as compared to that of other subjects.
- Every student can’t become an engineer or a technician, then what is the necessity of mathematics for all.
In this way, the reasons forbading the compulsion of mathematics upto tenth standard seems to Ideological.
All great educationalist like Herbert, Pestolozzi etc. has accepted mathematics as a symbol of human development. Accepting mathematics as a best means of intellectual and cultural developments, these educationists placed mathematics on the top in the curriculum.
Thus we can give certain logical points regarding mathematics as a compulsory subject. These are as follows:
- If mathematics is not given an important place in the curriculum then students would not get any opportunity for mental training and in the absence of which their intellectual development might be affected.
- For gaining the knowledge of mathematics no innate power is required, which is separate from ability of study of other subject.
- Training of reasoning, thinking, discipline, self confidence and emotions are developed in students by mathematics.
- Through mathematics child leads to gain knowledge systematically.
- It is needed either forwardly or adversely for studying almost all the subjects because it is considered as the basis of science and each and every art.
Thus on the basis of above discussion, we can conclude that mathematics is only subject whose knowledge is needed for the whole life. It can be possible only when every child will study mathematics as a compulsory subject upto tenth standard. Mathematics occupy a prominent place in men’s life, from an engineer to technician or labour to finance minister and other businessmen, all needed the help of mathematics according to their requirements. The knowledge of this subject is indispensable and it is bound to grow as the need grows. A mathematical approach is essential for any progress. Any approach devoid of mathematical consideration is likely to lead to failure. If anybody wants to get success in his life, he must have recourse to mathematics.
Thus mathematics should be placed on higher level even through it is required for earning. There are some reasons for giving in an important place in school curriculum, some of them are as follows:
Reasons for Keeping Mathematics in School Curriculum
- Mathematics is the Basis of all Sciences: The different branches of science likewise-Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, Biology, Medical Science, Geology, Astrology etc. are the important subjects which are based on mathematics for e.g. area, volume, weight, density, number of atoms and electrons, medicines all are related to mathematical study.
- Mathematics is Related to Human Life: Right from getting up in the morning till going to bed we need the help of mathematics. For purchasing, planning our day, each and every aspect involves the use of mathematics. Today in the modern age, the knowledge of mathematics is essential and more important in one form or the other.
- Mathematics Generates Logical Attitude: Mathematics give training to different faculties of mind. In order to solve a mathematical problem a child has to think logically. Every step is, related to other step on the basis of some logic with which child develops his mental abilities and it further effects his intellectual development.
- Mathematics Provides a Definite way of Thinking: The children who study mathematics develop attitude with which they learn to work systematically, regularly and properly. Along with this it also develops a logical thinking in them.
- Mathematics is an exact science: By the study of mathematics child develops the attitude to accept the knowledge of mathematics in an exact form. All mathematical concepts, formulae, facts are related to exactness and thus it removes the feeling of doubt. For example; 4 + 4 = 8. Which cannot be 7 or 9 etc.
- Mathematics provides opportunity to develop mental abilities of the child.
- Mathematics deals with significant, abstracts and consistent structures.
- Mathematics is the study of sets and structures.
- Mathematics helps in character formation as well as morality.
- The develops the characteristic of discipline.
- The language of mathematics is universal.
- Knowledge of mathematics is useful in the study of other school subjects.