CTET 2015 Exam Notes : TEACHING OF EVS
Significance of EVS
Environmental Studies has been given due place in our school education programmed by being made as a compulsory subject. Not only that more and more emphasis is now being paid over the scientific and technical education. By doing so infact a right step has been taken to push our country forward and to enable us to compete with other progressive nations. It has necessitated to lay due emphasis on the teaching of environmental studies right from the primary stage. Realising such need Kothari Commision has very rightly remarked in their recommendation as follows:
“Science and Mathematics should be taught on a compulsory basis to all pupils as a part of general education during the first ten years of schooling.”
The question here may arise that why the subject environmental studies has been given so much weightage as to be taught compulsorily during the ten years of one’s school life. The answer may be satisfactorily discovered in its various uses,
Applications and Advantages of EVS
- Utilitarian value of day to day use: Modern age is environmental studies age. We see a network of scientific gadgets based on latest scientific inventions all around us.
- Intellectual value: The study of environmental studies provides us the opportunity of developing our mental faculties of reasoning, imagination, memory, observation, concentration, analysis, originality and of systematic thinking. Science gives us the insight which enables us to search the truth and the reality of nature around us. We are able to do useful work with the help of wisdom acquired through environmental studies. Science does not permit us to accept anything which we can not prove by actual observation, reasoning and experimentation. The querie like ‘why’ and ‘how’ of all problems and phenomena can be satisfactorily answered only by the wisdom of environmental studies.
- Disciplinary value: Environmental Studies develops our personality as a whole. It inculcates spirit of enquiry, seriousness, and systematic thinking. It brings about total transformation of one’s view point and makes thought process more organized. Science makes us think seriously and helps to observe the real nature of the problem. It helps us to judge all the good and bad points, together, which the gain and loss likely to be incurred in the plan of action contemplated.
- Cultural value: Before we discuss the cultural value of environmental studies, let us try to understand what is culture. According to the great Indian poet Dinkar, ‘culture is the way of life which has been handed over to society from one generation to another in the form of accumulated customs, habits and mode of living. The mode and style of living is different from one society to another and therefore their culture is also not the same.
- Moral value: Some people believe that Environmental studies is responsible for lack of faith in God, but in reality the situation is reverse. No doubt that environmental studies does not permit blind faith. It also does not admit faith in idol worship nor follows many useless customs.
- Aesthetic value: Environmental Studies is beauty, art, a source of entertainment and a successful means of attaining physical comforts.
One gets extreme joy on one’s successful discovery or invention. Even the study of environmental studies is a source of great pleasure, when one gets answers to his questions about the mysteries of nature.
- Social value: Environmental Studies is of great value to society. Science makes a man a useful citizen. Science gives impetus to the progress of society by it new thoughts and inventions.
- Vocational value: Environmental Studies has opened vast vistas of vocations, because scientific principles and inventions have become so universal and pervasive in our daily life. Scientific inventions have now helped widely all the traditional vocations nowadays like – agriculture, poultry farming and dairy farming. Science has also revolutionized modern vocations like – telephone, radio and television broad – casting.
- Psychological value: Study of environmental Studies fulfils the psychological fulfills of man and helps in evolution of natural curiosity” and other instincts like instinct, of collection, ego, self expression. The instincts of curiosity is responsible for the urge of investigation, experimentation and research. In this way the study of environmental studies develops all the latent faculties of a child.
- Training in scientific method: Scientific method used in solving scientific problems is also helpful in solving other problems of life.
The following thought-processes are involved in solving a scientific problem.
The above thought processes and method are also needed in solving all problems of daily life. First we try to understand the nature of the problem. Then after thinking of various solutions, we test them and finally accept one solution after examining its validity and correctness.
Whether we consider from personal or social point of view, the study of environmental studies has its special importance. The joy and bliss are obtained from successful investigation of scientific problems but in addition it also gives children self-confidence and insight for solving any life-problem facing them. In brief the study of environmental studies gives us self-confidence and teaches us to lead a, successful and meaningful life.
In fact, Environmental Studies is essential for the progress of our society and nation. By studying Environmental Studies we can make our social life happy and comfortable by leading a healthy life and by gaining from public welfare activities based on environmental studies.
General science should be taught compulsorily in all classes. It needs not to be a detailed or extensive one involving depth study of the scientific facts and principles. It should be in the form of day to day science for everyone to help him in understanding his, self and his environment for leading a happy life. The learning experiences for the general science course may be taken from the different areas and branches of science like physics, chemistry, botany, geology, health and hygiene and astronomy, etc. However, proper care should be taken in the selection of the learning experiences from the different braches as well as its presentation in a proper integrated way. The organization of these experiences must demonstrate unity in diversity in every shape and form like the different flowers of a garland or pearls of a neckless. In adopting integrated approach for, the organization of the subject matter in general science course the recommendations made at the Tara Devi (Simla Hills) seminar, for dividing it with the following five units, are worth mentioning.
- Our surroundings
- Nature of things
- Energy and work
- Life and
- Human machine.
For the students who want to go ahead with the specialized study in one or the other branches of environmental studies there may be provision of choosing any three subjects out of the wide choices in the form of physics, chemistry, botany, geology, agriculture, astronomy, mathematics, etc. In framing curriculum or learning experiences for these specializations care should be taken as to provide sufficiently specialized, detailed and depth study for enabling the students to carry on further higher studies in these specialized subjects.
Note: Did you liked the post? Please tell us by your comment below..!!