CTET 2015 Exam Notes : TEACHING OF ENGLISH
The Communicative Approach
The communicative approach is the recent and latest approach of teaching English. It enables the students to communicate his ideas in a better way. The socio-linguists Dell Hymes propagates this approach.
Trim, David and Henny has developed this approach as National Functionalism and the communicative approach.
Characteristics of Communicative Approach of English teaching
1. The communicative approach is based upon need analysis and planning to prepare communicative curriculum and syllabus.
2. It is based upon the concept of how language is used and what is functional utility of language.
3. It lays less stress on grammar.
4. It is based upon the concept of how language is used and what is functional utility of language.
5. It lays emphasis on language in use rather than language as structure.
6. It gives emphasis on the semantic objective of the language which means the meaning of language in real life situations and contexts.
7. The skills of speaking and writing are included in communicative approach.
8. It provides the communicative opportunities where the students may be able to communicate their ideas through dialogue, discussions,and debate literary and cultural activities of the school.
Merits of communicative Approach-
- It develops the speech ability among the students.
- It teaches different ways of expression.
- This approach is based on the practical utility.
- It lays more stress on the functional value of the language.
- It enables the students to communicate their ideas both inside and outside the class room
Demerits of communicative Approach
- This approach ignores grammar and structures.
- It is not properly and scientifically developed .
- It is a new approach and it is to be used and tested in our schools for language teaching.
- Practical utility of this approach is yet to be confirmed.
- Trained teachers are not available in this approach to teach English language.
- A systematic theory of this approach should be developed.
- Re-orientation program for the English teachers should be organized by the concerning agencies time and again.
- Teaching learning material should be developed
Note: Did you liked the post? Please tell us by your comment below..!!