NCERT Solutions for Class 9th: Ch 2 Sound of Music Beehive English
Part I Evelyn Glennie Listens to Sound without Hearing It
2. Evelyn, with a hectic international schedule, gives solo performances at regular concerts. Apart from these, she gives free concerts in prisons and hospitals. She also accords high priority to classes for young musicians.
III. Answer the question in two or three paragraphs (100–150 words).
1. How does Evelyn hear music?
4. Bismillah Khan learnt to play the shehnai from (Ali Bux, Paigambar Bux, Ustad Faiyaaz Khan).
Aurangzeb banned the playing of musical instrument pungi because it had a shrill, unpleasant sound.
2. How is a shehnai different from a pungi?
3. Where was the shehnai played traditionally? How did Bismillah Khan change this?
4. When and how did Bismillah Khan get his big break?
5. Where did Bismillah Khan play the shehnai on 15 August 1947? Why was the event historic?
On 15 August 1947, Bismillah Khan played the Raag Kaafi on his shehnai from the Red Fort. The event was historical because it was on the occasion of India's Independence from British Rule.
6. Why did Bismillah Khan refuse to start a shehnai school in the U.S.A.?
Bismillah Khan refused one of his student's request to start a shehnai school in the U.S.A. because he would not live away from Hindustan, specifically, from Benaras, the River Ganga and Dumraon.
7. Find at least two instances in the text which tell you that Bismillah Khan loves India and Benaras.
I. Complete the following sentences. Beginning with a to-verb, try to answer the questions in brackets.
1. The school sports team hopes (What does it hope to do?)
1. The school sports team hopes to win the match.
II. From the text on Bismillah Khan, find the words and phrases that match these definitions and write them down. The number of the paragraph where you will find the words/phrases has been given for you in brackets.
1. the royal residence
Page No: 27
1. When something is revived, it lives again.
Page No: 28
<< Back to NCERT Solutions for Class 9th English