CBSE NCERT Class X (10th) | Civics
Chapter – 6 Political parties
Extra Practice Questions
Q.1: - Which of the following is the most visible institutions in a democracy?
Q.2: - How many political parties are registered with the election commission of India?
(a) Less than 100 (b) Between 100 to 500
(c) Between 500 to 750 (d) More than 750
Q.3: - A Political party has to satisfy the following criteria to be recognized as a national party—
(a) 6% votes of total votes in Lok sabha or assembly elections of four status
(b) At least 6 Lok sabha seats
(c) 12% votes of total votes in Lok sabha
(d) At least 12 Lok sabha seats
Q.4: - How many political parties were recognized as National parties in India in 2006?
(a) 06 (b) 16 (c) 750 (d) 21
Q.5: - How many Lok sabha constituencies are there in India at present?
(a) 540 (b) 543 (c) 547 (d) 563
Q.6: - Area wise which is the largest Lok sabha constituency in India?
(a) Karol Bag (b) Ghaziabad (c) Mumbai Cart (d) Ladakh
Q.7:- The Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) came to power in 1998 as the leader of
(a) United progressive Alliance (b) Left front
(c) National Democratic (d) None of these
Q.8: - Which party system does India follow—
(a) Single party system (b) Two party system
(c) Multi party system (d) All of them
Q.9: - What is Bye –election?
(a) Elections held to fill a vacancy caused by the death or any other house.
(b) Election held after a specific period.
(c) Election held to farm the new govt.
(d) Election held in between the fixed term of the house.
Q.10: -Who is the founder of the Bahujan Samajwadi Party (BSP)
(a) Jyotiba Phule (b) Kanshi Ram
(c) B. R. Ambudkar (d) Maya Vati
Q.11 Which of the following is a National Party?
(a) Indian National Congress
(b) Bahujan Samaj Party
(c) Bharatiya Janata Party
(d) All of the above
Short Answers Type Questions
Q.1: -Why do we need political parties?
Ans.:-1. Political parties are easily one of the most visible institutions in a democracy.
2. Far most ordinary citizens, political parties are equal to democracy.
3. Political parties helped in making public opinion and farming the govt.
Q.2: - Describe the merits of a multi party system in thru points.
Ans.:-1. More than two parties have a reasonable chance of coming to power either on their own strength or in alliance with others
2. This system allows a variety of interests and opinions to enjoy political representation.
3. In India we have multi party system and the coalition govt. for last 15 years which benefits all sections
of the population.
Q.3: - What are the characteristics of a political party?
Ans.:- 1. It is a group of people coming together to contest elections and share power.
2. It agrees on some policies and programmers for the society with a view to promote collective good.
3. It lends to implement there policies by viewing popular support through elections.
4. It is known by which part it stands for, which policies it supports and whose interest it upholds.
Q.4: -What is the role of opposition party in democracy
Ans.:- 1. Constructive criticism of govt.
2. Restriction of arbitrariness of ruling party
3. Safeguard, liberty and rights of the people
4. Well prepared to form govt.
5. Expression of public opinion
Q.5: - Give an account of the functions (any four) of political parties
Ans.:- 1. They educate the masses, through their meetings and propaganda about various
problems facing the country
2. Helps in the formation of public opinion
3. They contest elections and try to get the maximum number of their candidates elected
4. They serve as a link between the govt. and the people
5. The party which gets as absolute majority, forms the govt. others form opposition
Q.6: - “The rise of political parties is linked to the emergence of representative democracies.” Comment on the statement.
Ans.:- 1. As a society become large and complex they also need some agenesis together with different views on various issues and to present these to the govt.
2. They need some ways to bring various representatives together so that a responsible govt. can by formed.
3. They need a mechanism to support and restrain the govt. make policies, justify or oppose them.
Long Answers Type Questions
Q.1: - What are the main functions of a political party?
Ans.:- 1. To contest election
2. Forming policies and programmes
3. Making laws
4. Parties form and fun govt.
5. To play an active role of opposition
6. Shaping public opinion
7. Access to govt. machinery and welfare schemes
Q.2: - What are the challenges between political parties in India?
Ans.:- Following points can be given with explanation as the challenges of political parties
1. Lack of internal democracy
2. Lack of transparency
3. Use of money and muscle power
4. Not providing meaningful choice to the voter
Q.3: - Mention the features of Congress party in India?
Ans.:- 1. Congress party was founded in 1885 and has experiences many splits.
2. It was ruling party at the centre till 1977 and then in 1880-89, 2000 to till date
3. This party supports secularism and welfare of weaker sections and minorities.
4. It supports new economic reforms but with a human face.
5. It emerged as the largest party with 145 seats in the Lok Sabha elections in 2004.
6. It currently leads the ruling united progressive alliance (UPA) coalition govt. at the centre.
Answer Key of Multiple Choice Questions
1. (B) 4. (A) 7. (C) 10. (B)
2. (D) 5. (A) 8. (C) 11. (d)
3. (A) 6. (D) 9. (A)
<< Back to NCERT Solutions of Class 10th Civics