CBSE NCERT Class X (10th) | Civics
Chapter – 7 Outcomes of Democracy
Extra Practice Questions
Q.1:- Which of the following forms of government has support in genial
(a) Democracy (b) Monarchy rule
Q.2:- The most important outcome of democracy is
(a) Accountable government (b) Responsive government
(b) Both of them (d) None of them
Q.3:- Democracy is based on the idea of
(a) Majority (b) Minority `
(c) Deliberation and negotiation (d) None of these
Q.4:- In a democratic government, a citizen has the right and the means to examine the decisions taken by the govt. It is known as-
(a) Transparency (b) Legitimacy
(c) Democracy (d) Monarchy
Q.5:- “Democracy is a government of the people, by the people and for the people.”is said by-
(a) Abraham Lincoln (b) Gittel
(c) Mahatma Gandhi (d) Jawahar Lal Nehru
Q.1:- How does democracy produce an accountable, responsive and legitimate government?
Ans.:- 1. Democracy is a form of govt. in which people rule themselves through the representatives who are
elected by them
2. The elected members from the govt. and make policies and run the administration of the country.
3. The govt. elected by the people is also accountable to them.
Q.2:- List the various aspects and qualifications which help in giving a clear definition of democracy.
Ans.:- 1. The rulers elected by the people must take all the major decisions
2. Elections must offer a choice and fair opportunity to the people to change the existing rulers.
3. Choice and opportunity should be available to all the people on an equal basis
4. Besides political rights, some social and economical rights are offered to the citizens by the democracy.
5. Power sharing is the spirit of democracy and is necessary between government and social groups in a
Q.3:- “Democratic governments are better than its alternatives”. Explain the statement?
Ans.:- 1. Democratic government is a legitimate government
2. It may be slow, less efficient, not always very responsive or clean. But it is the people’s own govt.
3. There is overwhelming support for the idea of democracy all over the world ; in countries with
democratic regimes as well as countries without democratic regimes.
Q.4:- How democracy accommodates social diversity?
Ans.:- 1. It is necessary to understand that democracy is not simply rule by majority opinion. The majority
always needs to work with the minority so that governments function to represent the general view.
2. It is also necessary that rule by majority does not become rule by majority community. In terms of religion, or race or linguistics groups. Rule by majority means that in case of every decision or in case of every election, different persons or groups may and can form a majority.
3. Democracy remains a democracy only as long as every citizen has a choice of living in majority, at some point of time.
Long Answers Type Questions
Q.1:- Explain the characteristics of Democracy?
Ans.:- 1. Elected representatives
3. Civil liberties
4. Rules of law
5. Independent judiciary
6. Organized opposition parties
7. Freedom of religion of culture
Q. 2:- Describe the features of dictatorship?
Ans.:- Following features can be explained-
1. Monopoly of powers.
2. One party
3. Faith in force
4. Emphasis on duty and discipline
5. Belief in racial superiority
Q.3:- “Democracy is better than any other form of government.” Give arguments in favors of this statement
Explain the merits of democracy.
Ans.:- Democracy is considered to be the best form of government and most of the countries in the world have adopted it. Following are the merits of democracy-
1. It safeguards the interest of the people
2. Based on the principle of equality
3. Possibility in administration
4. Political education to the people
5. Little chance of revolution
6. Based on public opinion
7. Helps people to become good citizens
8. Accommodate all diversities and differences.
Answer Key of Multiple Choice Questions
1. (A) 2. (C) 3. (C) 4. (A) 5. (A)
<< Back to NCERT Solutions of Class 10th Civics