CBSE NCERT Class X (10th) | Civics
Chapter – 8 Challenges to Democracy
Q.1: - The challenge of deepening of democracy involves –
(a) Applying basic principal of democracy govt. across all the regions.
(b) Strengthening of the institutions and practices of democracy.
(c) Inclusion of women and minority groups indecision making.
Q.2: - The challenge of expansion of a democracy required –
(a) Keeping military a way from the govt.
(b) Less decisions should remain outside the democratic control.
(c) Bringing clown the influence of the rich.
(d) Establishing a functional state.
Q3: - Name of law which empowers people to carry out democratic reforms—
(a) Right to information Act. (b) Companies Act.
(c) MRTP Act (d) None of these.
Q.4: - which kind of lows are considered the best for democratic reforms?
(a) Laws that seek to bar something.
(b) Lows that seek to promote the benefit of a particular section of society.
(c) Lows that empower people to carry out democratic reforms.
(d) None of these.
Q.5: - Which of the following countries disregards the UN and lakes unilateral decisions in the world affairs?
(a) France (b) India (c) U.K. (d) U.S.
Short Answers Type Questions
Q.1: - What are the basic rights of citizens for exercising voting rights?
Ans.:- 1. The rulers elected by the people must take all the major decisions.
2. Elections must offer a choice and fair opportunity to the people to change the current rulers.
3. The choice and opportunity should be available to all the people on an equal basis.
4. The exercise of this choice must lead to a govt. limited by basic rules of the constitution and citizens right.
Q.2: - How is the challenge of deepening of democracy faced by every democracy?
Ans.:- 1. This involves string tuning of the institutions and practices of democracy.
2. This should happen in such a way that people can realize their expectations of democracy.
3. In general terms, it usually means string tuning those institutions that help people’s participation and control.
4. This requires an attempt to bring down the control and influence of the rich and powerful people in making governmental decisions.
Q.3: - Enumerate there challenges which democracies in the world face today.
Ans.:- 1. Fundamental challenge — Those countries which do not have democratic form of govt. face the
fundamental challenge of establishing democracy in the country.
2. Challenge of Expansion.—Countries having democratic setup face the challenge of expansion.
3. Deepening of Democracy – This challenge is faced by almost all the democracies. This involves strengthening of the institutions and practices of democracies.
Q.4: - What does fundamental challenge to democracy mean? Which two aspects are included in this challenge?
Ans.: - Those countries which do not have democratic form of govt. face the foundational challenge of establishing democracy in the country. This involves bringing down the existing non-democratic govt. to keep the military away from capturing power and establishing a sovereign democratic state.
Long Answers Type Questions
Q.1: - Describe the major challenges to democracy in India.
Ans.: -Following can be described as the major challenge s to democracy in India.—
1. Social and economic inequality. 2. Poverty 3. Illiteracy
4. Casteism 5. Communalism 6. Regional imbalances.
7. Problem of language 8. Violence
Q.2: - How is communalism become big challenge to Indian democracy?
Ans.: -India is a land of many religious which sum of differ from each other but all have a fundamental unity.
All religious proclaim the fatherhood of god and Brotherhood of man. All of them lay great stress on truth, honesty and advice their followers to serve god by serving men.
At the other hand the mixture of politics and religion has hampered the growth of progress and national unity. This creates religious intolerance which is the major hindrance in political stability and culture unity. In this way communalism become a challenge to Indian democracy.
Answer Key of Multiple Choice Questions
1. (B) 2. (B) 3. (A) 4. (C) 5. (D)
<< Back to NCERT Solutions of Class 10th Civics