CBSE NCERT Class X (10th) | Social Studies | History
Chapter - 6 Work, Life and Leisure
Extra Practice Questions
Multiple Choice Questions
Q.1: - Novel written by Durgacharan Ray about the city of Calcutta is—
(a) Nirmala (b) Godan
Q.2: - Which of the following city is called ‘Mayapuri’—
(a) Madras (b) Calcutta (c) Delhi (d) Bombay
Q.3: - “The Bitter cry of outcast London” written by—
(a) Rudyard Kipling (b) Samuel Richardson
(c) Charles Dickens (d) Andrew Mearns
Q.4: - Which of the following film was made by Dada Saheb Phalke?
(a) CID (b) Guest House
(c) Tezab (d) Raja Harish Chandra
Q.5: - Which was the Indian first city to get smoke nuisance?
(a) Bombay (b) Calcutta (c) Madras (d) Surat
Q.6: - Most of the people in the film industry were –
(a) Local (b) Migrants from Lahore, Calcutta and madras
(c) Foreigners (d) Freedom fighter
Q.7: - Who developed the principal of ‘Garden City’?
(a) Ebenezer Howard (b) Charles Dickens
(c) Thomas Hardy (d) Andrew Mearns
Q.8: - The first underground railway was built in –
(a) New York (b) Calcutta
(c) London (d) Dubai
Q.9: - What were tenements –
(a) Over crowded apartment (b) Official documents
(c) Surgical instrument (d) wartime offices
Q.10: - What does a ‘Metropolis’ refer to
(a) State (b) Capital (c) Country (d) Town
Short Answer Type Questions
Q.1: - What steps were taken to clean up London?
Ans.:- 1. Attempts were made to decongest localities, green the open spaces reduce pollution and landscape the city.
2. Large blocks of apartments were built.
3. Demands were made for ‘New Lungs’ for the city and the idea of green belt around London was offered.
Q.2: - Give three reasons why the population of London expended from the middle of the 18th century?
Ans.:- 1. Industrialization was the most important factor which attracted people to London.
2. The textile industry of London attracted a large number of migrants.
3. The city of London attracted people from all walks of life like clerks, shopkeepers, soldiers,
servants, laborers, beggars etc.
Q.3: - How did people entertain themselves in the ‘chawls’?
Ans.:-1. Magicians, Monkey players or acrobats used to perform their acts on the streets.
2. The Nandi bull used to predict the future.
3. Chawls were also the place for the exchange of news about jobs, strikes, riots or demonstrations.
Q.4: - Explain the social change in London which led to the need for underground?
Ans.:- 1. British made a million houses, single family cottages.
2. Now people could not walk to work and this led to the development of underground railways.
3. By 1880, the expended train services were carrying 40 million passengers in a year.
Q.5: - What was the status of the women folk in the conservative industrial towns?
Ans.:- 1. Women of upper and middle classes faced higher level of isolation, although
their lives were made easier by domestic maids.
2. Women who worked for wages had some control over their lives particularly
among the lower social classes.
3. As women lost their industrial jobs and conservative people railed against their
presence in public plans, women were forced to withdraw into their homes.
Long Answer Type Questions
Q.1: -‘Bombay was a prime city of India’. Justify by giving examples.
Ans.:- 1. It was the major outlet for cotton textile from Gujarat.
2. It functioned as a major port city.
3. It was an important administrative centre in western India.
4. It soon emerged as a major industrial centre.
5. The opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 brought the west close to Bombay.
Q.2: - Describe the life in chawls?
Ans.:- 1. Chawls were multistoried structure built and owned by private landlords such as Merchants, bankers and building contractors.
2. Each chawl was divided into smaller one room tenements which had no private toilets.
3. Many families could reside at a time in a tenement.
4. People had to keep the window of their rooms closed even in humid weather due to close proximity
of filthy gutters, buffalo stables etc.
5. Though water was scarce and people often quarreled every morning for a turn at the top observers
found that house were kept quite clean.
Q.3:- Explain the life style of workers of mid 19th century in Britain?
Ans.:-1. In most of the industries the demand for labour was seasonal.
2. The workers were getting very low wages.
3. Factories employed large numbers of women.
4. Most of the workers were living in slums. Factories or workshop owners did not house the migrant
5. For the poor workers the street often was the only place for rest, leisure and fun.
Q.4: - Describe the problems of travelling in the underground railway?
Ans.:- 1. People were afraid to travel underground.
2. The Compartments were over crowed and polluted by smoke.
3. The atmosphere was a mixture of sulphur, coal and dust with fuel fumes from the gas lamps.
4. Many felt that the iron monsters added to the mess and unhealthiness of the city.
5. Suffocation due to lack of oxygen supply and heat.
Answer Key of Multiple Choice Questions
1. ( d ) 2. ( d ) 3. ( d ) 4. (d ) 5. ( b )
6. ( b ) 7. ( a ) 8. ( c ) 9. ( a ) 10. ( b )